I have so many great memories of celebrating the holidays with my family growing up. Thanksgiving was always a big deal in our home, but seeing those cartons of Egg Nog on the store shelves really made me get in the festive spirits.
Egg Nog was a must have in our refrigerator every year. I can remember seeing 3 cartons at a time. I continued that same tradition in my own home.
Being that Egg Nog was only sold as a seasonal product, I wanted to have that drink any time of the year, so I am sharing a easy, but delicious recipe that you can make at home in as easy as 15 minutes.
“Who doesn’t love easy, simple and delicious?”
- 2½ cups milk
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 egg yolks
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half for a light version) or sweet condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Put the milk, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ½ tsp vanilla into a large saucepan. Put it over the lowest heat setting on your stove for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat under the milk up to medium-high heat. Remove the cinnamon sticks. Stir the milk constantly until it just starts to boil then immediately turn off the heat.
- Slowly whisk in about ¼ of the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture. Then pour all of the egg/sugar mixture back into the saucepan and whisk it all together. Put it over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. It will thicken a bit.
- Pour the hot eggnog into a large bowl or beverage container and let cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir in the heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and nutmeg. Store in the fridge and allow to cool for at least 4 hours before serving. You can adf more milk if too sweet or thick.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe for your family during the holidays.
“What Are Some Of Your Favorite Holiday Drinks?”